Pet Dangers in the Garden


Lilies--Dangerous to cats.  They only have to consume small amounts for toxicity (1-2 leaves or petals, pollen, vase water).  It affects the kidneys and can lead to malaise, anorexia, dehydration, renal pain, and renal failure.  Prognosis is fair to good if treated early within 18 hours and cat is producing urine. 


Sago Palm-Primarily dogs are affected but it can also affect cats and horses.  It affects the liver and gastrointestinal systems.  The seeds (nuts) are most toxic.  Symptoms of toxicity appear within 15 minutes to 3 days.  Animals will exhibit vomiting, hemorrhagic diarrhea, dehydration, jaundice, and abdominal pain/discomfort.  50% of dogs that ingest this plant die or are euthanized.  Long term prognosis is unknown


Kalanchoe-toxic to all animals.  Affects the heart and gastrointestinal system and ingestion of small amounts such as 1-2 leaves or petals, a few seeds, or vase water can lead to toxicity.  Onset of symptoms can be within 30 minutes to 2 hours.  Symptoms of toxicity include slow heart rate, arrhythmias, hypotension, vomiting, pronounced salivation, dilated pupils, tremors, or seizures.  Prognosis is good if detected early.  The heart arrhythmias complicate recovery.


Yew-toxic to all animals.  Affects the heart and gastrointestinal systems.  Toxic amounts may be several leaves, bark, or seeds.  Symptoms of toxicity include slow heart rate, hypotension, gastroenteritis, problems walking, tremors, acute death, ventricular fibrillation.  Symptoms occur immediately and prognosis is poor with death likely


Azalea-toxic to all animals.  Affects the gastrointestinal, heart, and neurological systems.  Toxic amount is very small...just a few leaves or even nectar.  Symptoms of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, slow or rapid heart rate, excessive salivation, cardiac arrhythmias, hypotension, tremors, seizures, and transient blindness.  Onset of symptoms occur within 1-12 hours.  Prognosis is good with early therapy but cardiac arrhythmias complicate recovery


Spring bulbs-toxic to all animals.  Affects the gastrointestinal system mainly.  Toxins are concentrated in the bulbs and even small ingestions may cause symptoms.  Leaves and flowers usually produce less severe symptoms when ingested.  Symptoms of toxicity include excessive salivation, vomiting with or without blood, diarrhea, foreign body obstruction, rapid heart rate, and rarely seizures and heart problems.  Prognosis is generally good with early care 





If you would like to receive our Paws 'N Claws Email Newsletter please fill out the box below.

Doctor's Notes

OK. Perhaps the following can't exactly be called "Breaking News", But these are news and issues that may affect you and your pet, or be of interest.

Newsletter